Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor underwent a barrage of questioning in her confirmation hearings yesterday, with critics on the Senate Judiciary Committee wondering how she could have failed to anticipate that a group of old white men would get so outraged about supposedly prejudicial remarks made years ago.
“She should have shown enough foresight to predict that we’d one day care about such things,” said ranking Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama. “Certainly I never anticipated that I’d be pushing sensitivity toward other races and ethnic groups. But I’m not the one who has to go through this process. She is.”
Sessions and other Republicans grilling President Obama’s first high court nominee cited Sotomayor’s now-famous 2001 comment that “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”
“I am deeply offended that she would consider the judgment of white males to be less than that of others,” added Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). “Until about six months ago, I thought our judgment was way better than anybody else’s. Now, I’m convinced that we’re at least as good.”
Meanwhile, it was expected that the questions facing the federal appeals court judge would only get tougher during Thursday’s session. A list of some of the planned queries to come from both Republicans and Democrats was released to the press late yesterday afternoon. They include the following:
- If the divorce of Jon and Kate were to reach the Supreme Court, and you had to decide the merits of the case based strictly on the Constitution, US Magazine and “Entertainment Tonight,” which of those two idiots would you have put to death?
- How much do you weigh? Is that with or without the cast?
- ¿Donde esta la biblioteca?
- Can you spare ten dollars until Friday? We get paid on Friday.
- If one train was traveling west at 65 mph and another train was traveling west at 50 mph on a completely different continent, why would anybody care?
- Did you ever have to make up your mind? Pick up on one and leave the other behind? It’s not always easy and it’s not always kind; did you ever have to make up your mind?
- What is eight times five?
- How do you pronounce your name again? What kind of a stupid name is that?
- If a white man and a wise Latina woman both had to decide between KFC’s new grilled chicken and McDonald’s new Angus burger, who’s life experience would lead them to make the better choice? And, as a follow up, would you like fries with that?
- Do you work out? I only ask because of how taut that dark blue business suit is against your broad, manly shoulders.
- Who’s uglier: Judge Judy or Judge Reinholdt?
- What’s the difference between a Puerto Rican and a Mexican?
- I know you come from the Bronx. Why is it called “the” Bronx and not just “Bronx”?
- Antonin Scalia — mmm — am I right?
- Would you mind terribly if I asked you to get me a cup of coffee? Cream, no sugar.
- Can you spell “jurisprudence”?
- You’re not that Argentine woman that was seeing Gov. Sanford, are you?
- Potent Potables for $800: Martini.
- Do you believe the dinosaurs were obliterated by a meteor some 165 million years ago and, if so, how do you explain the current makeup of the court?
- I understand you’re a practicing Catholic — what’s the deal with the pope?
- The specialized cardiac muscle tissue known as the atrioventicular node, or AV, is located in the wall between the right atrium and what? And can you put your answer in the form of an interpretive dance?
- Are you sure you aren’t Asian?
- See this thing on my lip? What IS that?
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if he were bound by the legal precedent set in U.S. vs. the City of Ontario, California?
- Regarding your decision about the firefighter exams in New Haven: what you really wanted was to handicap the entire rescue squad because you hate all people from Connecticut and hope to see them succumb to a fiery death, right?
- Do you have any sisters?
- We Republicans are really into Twitter — would you consider tweeting your thoughts during court deliberations?
- Where does the devil come from? Has he always been around?
- Two of my adjoining rooms have hardwood floors, one honey colored and the other darker. Is there any way to make the light one darker or the dark one lighter so they will match?
- My son has bumps on his head. Is there anything that can be done for him?
- Credit or debit? Paper or plastic? Would you like to donate a dollar to the Boy’s Home of East Lansing?
- A three-part question: When you ruled that nunchucks were not protected under the Second Amendment in the Maloney case, did you intend that virtually any state or local weapons ban would be permissible? Secondly, did you see that movie where that guy almost took someone’s head off with nunchucks? And finally, was that the coolest thing ever?
- Can you describe a time where you have been required to perform as part of a team? What was the situation? What part did you play in the team and what was the outcome of the exercise?
- How ‘bout them Uyghurs?